Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Another First


The first day of school was bittersweet this year. Sweet Pea was excited to go back (after not wanting to go for the first two months last year). She has six of her friends in her class and she has two great teachers. On the other hand, it is her last year of pre-school :(. While I am relishing in the fact that I have one more year with my sweet baby girl before she goes to kindergarten, I am sad that I only have one more year.

To make matters worse, it was Bear's first (ever) day of school. Sometimes I forget that he is only 2. He's not the family baby anymore, so I tend to think of him as older. But, when it came time to send him to school, I quickly realized that he is growing up. My first sad moment came when we went to "Meet the teachers". His sweet teacher wanted to take his picture, so he said "cheese" and did his picture dance. He always does the same little dance when he poses for a picture - it's just Bear and I love it. His teacher didn't appreciate it as much and said "stand still, like a statue". All of sudden, I felt sad. I realized that he would no longer be the carefree and always silly little boy. Someone else would be influencing his personality. So the next few days I contemplated keeping him home. But, the fact that he is going to a Christian school with sweet Christian teachers and will be learning to play with kids his age, makes it worth all of the emotional mom stuff.

So, the first day of school went off without a hitch. Daddy stayed home to go with us (I made him take Bear in to class) and MeMe came over to go with us. Sweet Pea was so excited to go see her friends. Bear cried when Daddy left, but he was fine five minutes later when we checked on him. And he was doing great when I called to check on him halfway through the day :).

The best part of the day (and every school day) is when I get to pick them up! They are so happy to see me and they tell me all about the fun they had at school.

Here's my little boy, after his first day of school...


2 comments:

  1. They are so sweet! So fun to watch them grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bittersweet is right! that's why i'm considering homeschooling...sort of...! ;)

    ReplyDelete